Critical Thinking Essential Insights
Learn and use critical thinking strategies when analysing information and data sources to improve decision-making, judgement and to find the best solution.
Free for CIPD members and Core Learning Subscribers.
In the age of ‘information overload’, it’s easy to find yourself misled, confused or overwhelmed when trying to analyse data objectively. With multiple outlets of news, opinion, and stories vying for attention on TV, social media, at work and at home, the ability to think critically is essential. The process of thinking deeply, effectively and objectively about a problem to come up with the best solution may therefore be the defining skill for future success.
In this online course, you’ll explore how to sort fact from fiction, using critical thinking as a tool to problem-solve, research and excel in your role. Shedding light on ethical approaches and evidence-based practice, the content brings into focus known and unknown biases and how they can influence thinking.
As a result of attending this course, learners will be able to make reasoned decisions, unbiased judgement and communicate thinking to others clearly, when evaluating large amounts of information from various sources.
All CIPD Learning courses will automatically provide you with access to the CIPD Learning Hub, our online learning platform, for 24 months.
The hub will house your course content, as well as useful resources, tools, and a community of professionals that you can tap into to support your learning and continual development.
Members, this course is included as part of your membership. Please access your free learning here
In this course, you will:
- explain what critical thinking is and how it can help our working practice, research and problem-solving
- check for problems and barriers to effective critical thinking and be able to overcome these
- use strategies for critical thinking.
Is this course right for me?
This course will help people practitioners, as well as those outside the profession, who need to hone their decision-making competence when faced with work scenarios, daily life challenges or achieving KPIs. Relevant for all levels of experience, the bitesize content will provide professionals with critical thinking tools to make sense of data and information and communicate their thoughts.
Core learning subscription
Upgrade to a 12-month subscription and get so much more.
With the CIPD’s Core Learning Subscription, you can access the key learning you require at the point when you need it. Delivered fully online, new courses are added regularly, and content consistently updated to reflect changes in the profession.
|Access to this course for 12 months|
|Access to the CIPD Learning Hub for 24 months|
|All Essential Insight courses – existing and as new courses are added|
|Our eight Core Behaviours Introductory Programmes|
|15% discount on all courses|
|Price||S$ 59||S$ 209|
|Book now||Book now|
Find out more about the CIPD Core Learning Subscription.
Interested in a subscription for your team? Please get in touch here.
I want to put my team on this course
To develop critical thinking within teams, this course can be delivered to groups of people professionals. Participants will learn together how to wade through masses of information, evaluate without bias and make reasoned business decisions.
If you are looking to place more than four learners onto this course, please contact us to discuss a team solution >
By the end of this course, you’ll have the confidence and skills to:
- use critical thinking as an objective tool to analyse and evaluate large amount of information to make the best judgement and communicate effectively where needed
- recognise biases and assumptions that can limit ability to think critically
- reach the best decision in the given context and communicate it clearly and persuasively to others.
Featuring a mix of written, video and interactive content, this course will take 60-90 minutes to complete, including reflective questions throughout and a knowledge check at the end. Learners engage at their own pace via the CIPD Learning Hub, a self-serve online platform.
In this course, you'll cover:
- Topic 1: What is critical thinking and why is it important?
- Topic 2: What can organisations do to support individuals to build critical thinking skills?
- Topic 3: What does it mean to me as a people professional?
- There is a short informal knowledge check at the end of the course for the learners to test themselves against some of the key messages. This can be undertaken multiple times.
You will be able to access the course for 12 months from purchase and the CIPD Learning Hub will remain accessible to you for 24 months.